We may not have a hallway or an in person party but you will still have the opportunity to meet new people!
We will be hosting two social networking events this year using the “Networking” feature of hopin.
After you click “Networking” then “Ready” you will be randomly paired with another attendee (if there are any available) for 30 minutes to chat, and you can choose to connect (which will exchange your contact information with that person).
Please join us Friday 5pm-6pm Pacific [UTC-7] and Saturday 5:30-6:30pm Pacific for our Socials.
In order to give you a conversation starter, or a way to feel connected, we would like to encourage you to #FancyFriday #HackerSwan at Friday’s social (dress up as much as you feel like!) and try to share the same menu with us:
A Happy Hour Beverage For Your Favorite Virtual Conference
The Collins is a classic cocktail that dates back to the 19th century. It’s versatile, refreshing, effervescent, and easy to make with or without alcohol.
- 2 oz or 50 mL of gin. The Collins is traditionally made with gin, but you can substitute vodka or your own spirit preference. This drink is also delicious without any alcohol.
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsb or 15 mL of white sugar
- A cold, carbonated water of your choice
- Enough ice cubes to fit in a tall glass
- Juice the lemon and strain out the pulp and seeds from the juice. This can be accomplished by juicing with a press or by cutting the lemon into quarters and juicing it by hand. Any fine strainer can work to separate the seeds and pulp. Put the juice in a glass and set it aside for now.
- Take a tall glass and pour in the sugar. Add .75 oz or 20 mL of water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Congratulations, you just made simple syrup!
- Add .75 oz or 20 mL of the lemon juice to the tall glass.
- If you are adding alcohol pour the spirit into the tall glass now.
- Add enough ice to fill up the glass and then pour the carbonated water into the rest of the glass. Stir the beverage once to mix the ingredients.
- Top the beverage with any garnish of your choice and enjoy!
-Feel free to experiment with different sugars. Honey works well, as does a strawberry or raspberry flavored simple syrup. You can also try different citrus fruits.
-If plain, carbonated water isn’t your thing, try ginger beer or flavored soda water.
-Fresh herbs work well with this beverage. Try muddling some mint in the glass before adding the ice or add a rosemary sprig as a garnish.
-Make the drink without ice in a short glass to create a classic Fizz.
Recommended Snack Pairings
Photos provided by Geoff Decker at Hidden Vision Photography.